The Motor Ombudsman continues to support consumers and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
  1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Service and Repair
  4. The garage has charged more than was agreed, what can I do?

I have been charged more than was agreed, what can I do?

The Code of Practice for Service and Repair states that accredited business should be upfront and clear about any costs before proceeding with the agreed work. If the garage has charged more than agreed, and you’ve got some evidence of that agreement, we would advise you to make a complaint to the garage in the first instance and see if an amicable resolution can be found.

If that’s not the case, and you need to settle the bill, you can pay and mark all invoices ‘paid under protest’ to indicate that you’re looking to take the matter further.



How to submit a dispute to The Motor Ombudsman

The Motor Ombudsman is a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider who can assist with disputes that arise between consumers and Code-accredited businesses.

Before you submit a dispute to us, firstly please ensure you have taken a look at the information about our process on the resolve a dispute page.

If you are ready to submit your dispute, you can find the relevant form to complete on our case creation page.

Submit a dispute


Have an article suggestion?

If you would like to see a question answered on our Knowledge Base, please email us at:


Was this article helpful?

Related Articles