1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. New Car Warranties
  4. What can I do if I have a problem with my new car?

What can I do if I have a problem with my new car?

If you have a problem with a new car, you have two possible options – you can pursue a repair under your new car warranty or you can use your consumer rights to get some form of remedy. Whichever option you decide, it’s always best to get in touch with the seller to let them know what’s happened. Visit the section on Sales for more guidance on your consumer rights.

Under your new car warranty, the manufacturer is liable for repairing any manufacturing defects which come to light during the warranty period. As such, if you experience a fault, you can take your car to any manufacturer authorised dealership and, if they diagnose the issue as something covered under warranty, the repair will be free of charge to you.

Not found the answer you require?

The Motor Ombudsman is a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider who can assist with disputes that arise between consumers and Code-accredited businesses. If this article has not answered your questions and if you have a complaint about a business please visit our complaints page to find out what to do next.

If you wish to escalate your complaint to a formal complaint please visit our case creation page.

Have an article suggestion?

If you would like to see a question answered on our Knowledge Base, please email us at: media@tmo-uk.org.


Was this article helpful?

Related Articles