The Motor Ombudsman continues to support consumers and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
  1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. New and Used Car Sales
  4. What do I need to do if I reject my new car?

What do I need to do if I reject my new car?

Rejection of a new car can be difficult as it might mean being without a car for some time – you may also be asked to provide evidence of why you think the vehicle breaches the Consumer Rights Act 2015 if you’ve been in ownership of the vehicle for 6 months or more.

If you do wish to reject your new car, then you will need to stop using it immediately and notify the seller and/or finance company – not the manufacturer – of your intention to reject. This should be in writing and you should then allow the seller and/or finance company up to 8 weeks to investigate your complaint and issue a final response.



How to submit a dispute to The Motor Ombudsman

The Motor Ombudsman is a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider who can assist with disputes that arise between consumers and Code-accredited businesses.

Before you submit a dispute to us, firstly please ensure you have taken a look at the information about our process on the resolve a dispute page.

If you are ready to submit your dispute, you can find the relevant form to complete on our case creation page.

Submit a dispute


Have an article suggestion?

If you would like to see a question answered on our Knowledge Base, please email us at:


Was this article helpful?

Related Articles