1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Service and Repair
  4. Do I have to have my car serviced at an authorised dealer?

Do I have to have my vehicle serviced at a manufacturer authorised dealer?

You have the choice of having your car serviced at an authorised dealer or with an independent garage. If you choose to service the car independently, make sure you keep thorough records of the services undertaken in case you need to make a warranty claim – as you will need to demonstrate that the services were in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines.

Wherever you get your car serviced, make sure you service your car at the right intervals – these might be fixed at a specific time and mileage, for example every year or every 12,500 miles whichever comes sooner, or they might be flexible in which case your car will notify you when it is due for a service. If you’re not sure, you should be able to find details of your servicing schedule in the documentation provided with the car, or you can contact the manufacturer or any of their authorised dealers.

Not found the answer you require?

The Motor Ombudsman is a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider who can assist with disputes that arise between consumers and Code-accredited businesses. If this article has not answered your questions and if you have a complaint about a business please visit our complaints page to find out what to do next.

If you wish to escalate your complaint to a formal complaint please visit our case creation page.

Have an article suggestion?

If you would like to see a question answered on our Knowledge Base, please email us at: media@tmo-uk.org.


Was this article helpful?

Related Articles