The Motor Ombudsman is here to help everyone and we strongly believe in making sure anyone can access our service.
So, if there is anything we can do to make complaining to us easier, or if you have any specific requirements, please let us know. This could include:
• Asking us for documents in large print
• Only communicating with us by phone
• Working with a representative to help you make your complaint
We will do our best to meet any reasonable request, or work with you to find another solution.
To let us know how we’re able to help, please contact us, you can find our contact details here.
If there is a reason why we should be prioritising your complaint – for example, you’re in severe financial difficulties or ill health please let us know and we will take that into consideration.
The Motor Ombudsman’s Vulnerability Charter
The following 10-point Vulnerability Charter outlines our approach to managing and communicating with vulnerable consumers.
We are committed to:
- Never addressing an individual directly or publicly as being vulnerable, as they may not ever see themselves as being vulnerable or may be unaware of their vulnerability.
- Treating all individuals equally and with respect regardless of their age, sex, sexual orientation, race, background, nationality, religious beliefs and personal circumstances, reflecting our core organisational values.
- Recognising that vulnerability can affect any individual at any stage of life, and can be both apparent to another person or hidden from view.
- Allowing every individual to share information or sensitive data about their circumstances and dispute in a confidential and safe environment without fear of personal judgement or prejudice.
- Ensuring an individual’s situation will be managed sensitively and appropriately based on any personal accounts and information provided.
- Adapting our communication, language, channel and tone in line with an individual’s needs to maximise understanding of terms and outcomes used at any stage of our dispute resolution process, and to make our service accessible to all.
- Training all customer-facing staff to ensure they have the necessary skillset and interpersonal techniques to assist individuals in the most effective manner.
- Ensuring that we handle data about vulnerability with sensitivity, only disclosing it where absolutely necessary and with consent.
- Signposting an individual to the most appropriate point of assistance and support regardless of whether the business is accredited to one or more of our Codes of Practice.
- Making our accredited businesses aware of the importance of adapting their processes to assist and communicate with consumers who may be vulnerable.