1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Extended Warranties
  4. Can I complain about a mis-sold car warranty policy?

Can I complain about a mis-sold car warranty policy?

If you feel that you have been mis-sold car a warranty policy, check to see if you’re still within your cooling-off period – as then you will be able to cancel it.

However, if the cooling-off period has expired, you should notify the seller of your warranty as soon as possible – that could be the warranty company directly or another business, like a dealership. Give them all the reasons for why you think the policy has been mis-sold and then they will investigate your concerns and issue you with a response.

Make sure that, in the first instance, you contact the seller of your policy who may or may not be the warranty company. In some cases, even if a dealership sold the policy, the warranty company may be held liable for the mis-sold car warranty policy but it’s best to get in touch with the seller first.

Not found the answer you require?

The Motor Ombudsman is a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider who can assist with disputes that arise between consumers and Code-accredited businesses. If this article has not answered your questions and if you have a complaint about a business please visit our complaints page to find out what to do next.

If you wish to escalate your complaint to a formal complaint please visit our case creation page.

Have an article suggestion?

If you would like to see a question answered on our Knowledge Base, please email us at: media@tmo-uk.org.


Was this article helpful?

Related Articles