1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. New and Used Car Sales
  4. What can I do if I have a problem with my car purchase?

What can I do if I have a problem with my car purchase?

You should always liaise with the seller of your vehicle in the first instance and see if they’re able to resolve things. You can contact the manufacturer as well but please bear in mind that, whilst they will try and assist you as best they can, it is the seller who ultimately has liability in this situation.

If the vehicle was purchased on finance, or your problem is with the finance itself rather than the vehicle, then you can also make your complaint to the finance company. If you’re unable to resolve the complaint, or need some guidance, contact the Financial Ombudsman. The Motor Ombudsman cannot consider a complaint about the finance company or a complaint which relates solely to the sale of the finance and/or any details about the finance agreement.

Not found the answer you require?

The Motor Ombudsman is a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider who can assist with disputes that arise between consumers and Code-accredited businesses. If this article has not answered your questions and if you have a complaint about a business please visit our complaints page to find out what to do next.

If you wish to escalate your complaint to a formal complaint please visit our case creation page.

Have an article suggestion?

If you would like to see a question answered on our Knowledge Base, please email us at: media@tmo-uk.org.


Was this article helpful?

Related Articles