- This site, www.themotorombudsman.org (‘the Website’) is owned and operated by The Motor Ombudsman Limited (‘the Company’ ‘we’ or ‘us’), registered number 06517394, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Limited (‘SMMT’), registered number 74359. The Company’s registered office is located at 71 Great Peter Street, London SW1P 2BN. Should you have any queries or concerns regarding use of your Personal Data (as defined below), please contact our Data Protection Officer by writing to the address above or e-mail email@example.com.
- Protecting your privacy is extremely important to us and to that end, the Company will act in accordance with current legislation and aim to meet current internet best practice.
- Personal Data is defined as data consisting of information which relates to a living individual who can be identified from that information and includes for example your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. You may at any time submit a written request, together with payment of the requisite fee, to the Data Protection Officer at the Company for a copy of the personal data held about you. For further information please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By submitting Personal Data to the Company via this Website, you give your consent that such data may be processed by the Company in the manner and for the purposes described in the following paragraphs. However, the Company does not collect, store or process any Personal Data submitted by you when you access and use the Website’s Vehicle Recall Look-up Service at www.themotorombudsman.org/vehicle-recalls.
How is Data Collected and Used?
- The Company collects Personal Data on this Website when such data is submitted by you to us during the subscriber registration process (where relevant) or the submission of an enquiry or complaint. The Personal Data you provide will be used by the Company to process your enquiry or complaint or where you are a Subscriber, to process your registration and administer your subscription to the Motor Industry Codes of Practice for Service and Repair, New Cars or Vehicle Warranty Products (‘the Codes’). Your Personal Data will only be held for as long as it is necessary to carry out these purposes.
Marketing and Consent
If you are a Code Subscriber, we may use your Personal Data for any marketing, publicity or advertising purposes connected with promoting the Codes and the Website and to send you information about other Company or administrative party products or services (‘Marketing Information’). If you are not a Code Subscriber, you will only be sent Marketing Information if you have given your consent to receive it. During the registration process or at any point where Personal Data is collected by us about you, you may be asked to indicate your preference regarding the Company and those parties involved in the administration of the Codes sending you Marketing Information. You are free at any time to amend your preference by doing one of the following:
- email us at email@example.com and we will amend your preference for you;
- tick the relevant preference box where provided on communications that we send you or on the Subscriber registration page of the Website before confirming your registration.
- contact us on 020 7344 1651 (press option 2)
- Write to us at The Motor Ombudsman Ltd, 71 Great Peter Street, London SW1P 2BN (confirming your subscriber number where relevant).
Sharing Personal Data with Third Parties
In certain special cases, for example where we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing harm to you, or otherwise injuring or interfering with the Company’s rights, property or operations, other users of this Website, or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities, your Personal Data may be disclosed to the proper authorities. We may also disclose your Personal Data when we reasonably believe the law requires it, or in response to any demand by law enforcement authorities in connection with a criminal investigation, or civil or administrative authorities in connection with a pending civil case or administrative investigation. Your Personal Data may be passed to:
- any party involved in the administration of the Codes, including but not limited to SMMT, the Code’s Consumer Advisory and Conciliation Service and the Office of Fair Trading or Trading Standards Institute
- the relevant Code Subscriber in order to resolve your enquiry or complaint; and
- if you are a Code Subscriber, to sponsors of Code promotions and marketing campaigns, automotive media organisations and advertisers and other supporters of the Codes, as approved by us, who wish to promote their products and services to you. You may notify us at any time if you do not want your Personal Data to be shared in this way, by using one of the notification options listed in paragraph 7.
Your Personal Data will not be passed to any third party other than as stated in this paragraph 8, without first obtaining your consent.
The Company aggregates Personal Data collected during the registration process and uses this together with the information collected via the use of ‘cookies’ to track data such as the total number of visits to the Website, visitors to each page of the Website, and the domain names of our visitors’ internet service providers. Third parties may be used to assist the Company with the aggregation process and the analysis of subsequent data obtained. We use this information, which remains in aggregate form, to improve and understand how our visitors use the Website. No personal data is disclosed in this process.
The Company may place a ‘cookie’ on your computer’s browser. Cookies are small text files, which provide us with information about how often someone visits the Website, and what they do during those visits. Cookies do not themselves collect any Personal Data but if you provide such information to the Website, for example by registering as a Code Subscriber, it may be linked to the data stored in the cookie. Where such data is used to produce aggregated data, no personal data is disclosed in this process. You have the ability to decline cookies, if you wish, by modifying the settings of your Internet browser. Please refer to the The Motor Ombudsman Cookies Notice for more information.
Use of IP Addresses
The Company operates secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection. The Company has security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of your Personal Data under our control. Employees who have access to Personal Data have been trained to handle such data properly and in accordance with our security protocols and strict standards of confidentiality. Any physical Personal Data transmittal will be in an industry standard, secure and encrypted form. Although we cannot guarantee against any loss, misuse, unauthorised disclosure, alteration or destruction of data, we try to prevent such unfortunate occurrences.
Link to other web sites
Transfer of Personal Data Abroad
Neither the Company nor any of the parties involved in the administration of the Code transfers Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area. Visitors are advised to note however that if you are visiting the Website from a country other than the country in which our server is located (currently the United Kingdom), the various communications will necessarily result in the transfer of information across international boundaries. By visiting the Website and communicating electronically with us, you consent to these transfers.
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
The ICO is the government body responsible for enforcing the Data Protection Act 1998, in the UK. Their web site is located at http://www.ico.gov.uk Should you require further details regarding the purposes for which the Company is registered to use Personal Data under this Act, details of the Company’s notification can be viewed on the public register at www.ico.gov.uk/ESDWebPages/search.asp