Case Creation

What if I need to escalate my complaint?

If you’re not happy with the response from the business, or don’t receive one at all, then get in touch with us. Make sure you contact us within 12 months of either receiving the response or making the complaint.

We need you to complete our enquiry form and provide us with copies of any relevant documentation – including a copy of the accredited business’ final response if one has been received.

The form is important because it gives us the authority to have a look into the complaint for you – and it means we should have all of the information we need to consider things.

Submit Consumer Case


You can post your completed forms to us at:

The Motor Ombudsman
71 Great Peter Street

Please note that following the impact of COVID restrictions we have introduced a hybrid working policy, which means that the post may take longer to be processed.

You can still send letters to us by post, however there may be some delays with processing the documents and online communications would be preferable if possible during this time. If you already have a case with us, please reply to the latest email from us and attach any documentation or photos.

If you have not yet logged a case with us, you can find useful information about how to submit your dispute online at the bottom of this webpage.


How will you consider my complaint?

Once we’ve got your details, we will assess your complaint to see if we can take on your case. We’ll be having to look to see if the business is accredited to one of our Codes, if your dispute relates to a potential breach of the Codes and whether or not it complies with the terms and conditions of our service.

If we can take on your complaint then we will:

  • review your information – and get a response from the other party;
  • find out the facts and weigh everything up; and
  • tell you and the business what we think

If we think there’s just been a misunderstanding, we’ll explain why. There may also be times where the offer already made is considered reasonable in the circumstances, or there just isn’t enough information for us to be able to make a fair decision.

If we decide you’ve been treated unfairly, we’ll tell the business to put things right.

You don’t have to agree with what we say and, if you disagree with our initial outcome, you are able to ask the ombudsman to make a final decision. At any point, you can let us know that you no longer want our help.

If we are unable to assist we’ll let you know and, where appropriate, we will signpost you to any other organisation that may be able to help.