1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. New and Used Car Sales
  4. How do I get compensation from a car manufacturer?
  1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. New Car Warranties
  4. How do I get compensation from a car manufacturer?

How do I get compensation from a car manufacturer?

The only contractual relationship you share with the manufacturer is one of warranty. This recognises you as the consumer (recipient) and the manufacturer as the warranty administrator. The manufacturer has an obligation to cover the repair costs of faults that fall under the warranty, as limited by the terms and conditions of the warranty agreement. Under, the warranty they are exempt from all other claims of consequential loss – such loss will generally fall to the party, which sold you the car and is therefore contractually liable for the quality of the car provided to you.

Finally, should you believe you have a claim in negligence against the manufacturer then you should contact the Citizens Advice Bureau on 0345 404 0506, for some guidance on your legal rights because negligence claims fall outside of The Motor Ombudsman’s remit.



How to submit a dispute to The Motor Ombudsman

The Motor Ombudsman is a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider who can assist with disputes that arise between consumers and Code-accredited businesses.

Before you submit a dispute to us, firstly please ensure you have taken a look at the information about our process on the resolve a dispute page.

If you are ready to submit your dispute, you can find the relevant form to complete on our case creation page.

Submit a dispute


Have an article suggestion?

If you would like to see a question answered on our Knowledge Base, please email us at: media@tmo-uk.org.


Was this article helpful?

Related Articles